GET OUTSIDE. GET YOUR SELFIE ON. GET FREE STUFF!
Welcome to #10Trail Challenge, a great way to explore the trails of Michiana!
Registration is free, this year please have one registration per household under one social media handle.
Go out and explore what Michiana has to offer! During the month of July, Chikaming Open Lands is proud to partner with The Rotary Club of Harbor Country, non-profit nature centers, township parks, county parks, the DNR, and local colleges to bring you these 10 nature preserves. You can find information and directions for each of of the preserves by clicking on their names:
3. Warren Dunes State Park *Parking at Floral Lane Only
Once you are out on one of the 10 trails look for the #10Trail Challenge picture frame selfie stations! Snap a pic and hashtag us on Instagram with #10trail AND #chikamingopenlands. Don't have Instagram? You can also tag us on Facebook or email us the selfie pictures at firstname.lastname@example.org. COL must receive selfie station pictures for participants to claim prizes. Frames will be out from July 1 to July 31.
The first 36 households to hike all 10 trails and send in the selfies, will win one $10 gift card of your choice to either Patellie's in Three Oaks, MI, The Peasant's Pantry in Sawyer, MI or David's Delicatessen and Coffee in New Buffalo, MI.
*The $10 gift card prize is limited to the first 36 households to complete all 10 trails and is a first come first serve basis.
The above businesses have supported Chikaming Open Lands by donating prizes to the #10Trail Challenge in previous years. During these difficult times, it is our turn to support them! We purchased gift cards from these businesses with the help of individual donations and sponsors for our #10Trail prizes this year. Help us support them! Gift card or not, please visit these great establishments, and bring your friends too!
Many thanks to our Sponsor, Rotary Club of Harbor Country!
Bathrooms - Bathroom facilities are not offered at most preserves. Please "take care of business" before you begin your hike to have a comfortable and fun day!
Dog Policy - Dogs are permitted on most preserve trails but must be on a 6 foot leash at all times. Please pick up after your pet. **Dogs are NOT permitted on Sarett Nature Center trails OR Lake Michigan College trails, sorry for the inconvenience.
Picture Policy - By submitting your photos, you give us permission to share them on our website, Instagram page, Facebook page, or in print materials.
Which Trail to Take?
1. Sarett Nature Center: 2300 N Benton Center Rd, Benton Harbor, MI 49022. From trailhead follow lowland trail system to River Trail. The selfie station is overlooking the Paw Paw River at the end of the River Trail. Physical Difficulty: Moderate
2. Lake Michigan College: 2755 E Napier Ave, Benton Harbor, MI 49022. Enter at main college entrance. Follow signs to Athletic Fields. Take gravel road and park behind the baseball diamonds. Follow Pine Loop trail. Note: There will be a COVID-19 checkpoint at the college entrance. Tell them you are there only to hike the trails. Physical Difficulty: Easy
3. Warren Dunes State Park: 5301 Floral Lane, Bridgman, MI 49106. Park in designated DNR lot. DO NOT use the main entrance. Warren Dunes State Park has a north entrance at Floral Lane, park in designated DNR lot.Walk to Warren Dunes Entrance, follow trail markers towards marker 13. Selfie Station will be on top of a split dune, take to the left. Physical Difficulty: Difficult
4. Tower Hill Camp and Retreat Center: 12173 Tower Hill Rd,Sawyer, MI 49125. Parking is in front of main office. Walk south towards main hiking loop. Take trail to the right once you reach the Tower Hill Plaque on the entrance boulder and follow the yellow trail posts. Physical Difficulty: Easy
5. Jens Jensen Preserve: 6851 Parkway Drive, Sawyer, MI 49125. Parking is along Parkway Drive in front of preserve sign. Follow trail loop to selfie station. Physical Difficulty: Easy
6. Harbert Road Preserve: 5842 Harbert Road, Sawyer, MI 49125. Harbert Road Preserve Selfie Station is located on the wooded loop trail, which is the trail loop to your left as you come to the pavilion. NOTE: Trails can be wet and muddy! Boots recommended. Physical Difficulty: Easy
7. Robinson Woods Preserve: 8016 East Rd, Three Oaks MI, 49128. Begin at the main (eastern) trailhead. Follow to the ravine loop. Physical Difficulty: Easy
8. Galien River County Park: 17424 Red Arrow Hwy, New Buffalo, MI 49117. Selfie Station at the bottom of stairs of the canopy walk overlook. Physical Difficulty: Easy
9. Burns Prairie Preserve: 18195 Mt Zion Rd, Galien, MI 49113. Parking is along side of Mt Zion Road along preserve sign. Take trail towards back loop, along woodland edge. Physical Difficulty: Easy
10. Bendix Woods County Park: 32132 IN-2, New Carlisle, IN, 46552. Drive through front gate and follow signs toward Hardwood Picnic Area and Runnels Shelter. Take trail behind Runnels Shelter on the Big Tree Trail. Physical Difficulty: Moderate
Commonly Asked Questions
What is appropriate hiking attire?
Wear sturdy hiking shoes as you may encounter uneven terrain and wet/muddy spots along the trails may be possible. Protect yourself from biting insects such as flies, mosquitoes and ticks by wearing long pants, a hat/bandanna and applying insect repellent.
Are the preserves only open on the weekends?
No, most hiking trails are open everyday from dawn until dusk, with the exception of Bendix Woods County Park, which is open from 10:00 am to 8:30 pm. For #10Trail Challenge you can visit them whenever it is convenient for you. You also do not need to visit the trails in numbered order and don't forget you have the entire month of July to complete this challenge, take your time!
Can I win BOTH gift card prizes?
Sadly, you cannot win both gift card prize amounts. This tiered system allows you to hike as many trails that you are comfortable with while still being eligible to win a prize. If you hike all 10 trails the top prize is one $10 gift card to your choice of Patellie's, David's Delicatessan or The Peasant's Pantry. Hiking any 5 to 9 trails you are eligible to win one $5 gift card to either Infusco Coffee or Scoops Ice Cream.
When will I receive my prize?
The #10Trail Challenge will start on July 1st and end on July 31st. COL will contact all winners at the end of July and will send out gift cards in the mail, or gift cards can be picked up at the COL office.
Will any staff be available at preserves?
Due to limited number of staff, we will not be available at the preserves. Please contact the COL office at (269) 405-1006 with any questions or concerns.
Thank You to our Partners!